It is critical that we combat the misuse and abuse of prescription medication while maintaining legitimate, uninterrupted access to medicine by patients in need. Generic drug manufacturers play a key role in producing affordable FDA-approved therapies and believe that patient safety is of the utmost importance. It is a public health imperative that patients take medicines as prescribed and adhere to the instructions of their health care providers.
- Patients need effective treatment for pain.
- Misuse of prescription opioids is a public health challenge.
- The production of opioid medicines is tightly controlled by federal authorities.
- Generic manufacturers do not engage in advertising or detailing.
- Proposals to tax opioids would undermine generic competition and increase prices for patients.
- Policymakers should consider the role of other supply chain entities that benefit from the sale of opioids.
- Strong policies can help reduce the opioid crisis but must ensure access to pain treatment for those who need it.
- State of play in the States
Learn how your generic and biosimilar industry is committed to your health.