AAM’s core mission is to improve patients’ lives by advancing timely access to affordable, FDA-approved generic and biosimilar medicines. AAM is the nation’s leading trade association for manufacturers and distributors of generic and biosimilar prescription medicines. Our members provide more than 36,000 jobs at nearly 150 facilities, and manufacture more than 61 billion doses of prescription medicine in the US annually.
- From 2010 to 2016, generic drug prices decreased 66%. Generic drugs saved the U.S healthcare system roughly $1.8 trillion in the last decade.
- Drug shortages can occur because of three categories of challenges:
- Manufacturing / Regulatory
- Market / Pricing Factors
- Unsound Public Policy Can Exacerbate Drug Shortages
- Recommendations for State to Address Drug Shortages